Thursday 9 February 2012

Here are just a few of my paintings:

Alfie 2008
This is a watercolour on Arches Paper 14 x 10 ins 
I did this as part of a challenge on the Watercolour Haven website. 
(sadly the site is no longer with us)




The Wild Wood 2009
This is a multimedia abstract I did a few years ago when I was learning how to work with acrylic inks it is on a 12 x 16 inch canvas board, which has a thick layer of impasto paste added to the surface, this was then worked using various tools such as a hand rake, knife and bottle top etc. The background colours where applied and left till nearly dry and then washed and scrubbed to leave a mottled finish, the foreground was then added using a combination of inks and tube acrylics.




Coxswain Dick Evans 2009
This is a monochrome watercolour (Indigo) on Arches paper 15 x 21 ins
Dick Evans was a local hero, Coxswain of the Moelfre lifeboat on Anglesey for many years and twice winner of the RNLI Gold Medal for bravery. 
This is a painting of the bronze statue by Sam Holland erected in 2006 to honor his memory. 
Sadly Dick passed away in 2001


Portrait of Steven 2009
Watercolour on Arches paper 8 x 11 ins
This was one of series of portraits I did as part of a challenge on Paintingfriends.com


R.S. Thomas 2012
Monochrome Acrylic on canvas 30 x 24 ins
This grumpy old so and so is the Welsh lay preacher and poet R.S. Thomas, he hated the English...mind you he hated the Welsh too!
The photo is not particularly good as the black background is a bit too shiny.


Disneyland California 2012
Acrylic on canvas 30 x 20 ins
When I saw the reference photo on Paintingfriends.com I just had to paint it although it is not what I would normally attempt...I am quite pleased with this one and somewhat surprised at how the neon colours stand out against the dark night sky.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Pat, glad you like them.

    I hope to have many more for you soon...oh and congratulations on being the first member. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello
    your art work is awesome, Daf.
    I'm a Welshman living in New Zealand, and I'm creating some poems to post on You Tube maybe - one's about R.S. Thomas, a huge influence on me. I was looking for an image of him and found your blog,your excellent portrait of him. You've really captured his character - wildness and grumpiness, his duffle-coat-ness almost, the way he kept people at a bit of a distance, I guess. Anyway, I was wondering if you'd let me use the image provided I put a link to your blog? No worries if you're not happy with the idea I totally understand; but do let me know, please. Seems better than just ripping it off with the old right click. Best of luck with the art works mate.
    Hayden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hayden
      I am happy for you to use the image, just send me a link to the poetry when you have it done.

      Cheers
      Daf

      Delete
  3. Hiya Daf, diolch eto and here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D23t28ZQG8g
    Cheers,
    Hayden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayden, I like the poetry and glad you used the painting of R.S. I would like to hear some more of your work...any chance of an invite to the blogspot?

      Daf

      Delete